During WW2 there was a mobile anti-aircraft battery at Godley Head comprising 3.7 inch and 40mm Bofor guns. A mobile battery of 3.7 inch guns was at Diamond Harbour, and a permanent 4 gun 3.7 inch heavy AA battery at Mount Pleasant.These batteries were intended to provide anti-aircraft defensive fire for the entire Lyttelton Fortress area.
Anti-Motor Torpedo Boat
The defence against motor torpedo boats or submarines within the harbour was to be provided by twin 6 pounder quick firing mountings. These were ordered from Britain and delivered in 1943, but weren’t brought in to service until the 1950’s. Only one twin gun operated at Godley Head.